Sometimes the IFTTT location trigger can be unreliable due to the battery settings on your mobile device. This page takes you through some of the key causes of issues with the location trigger.
Advice from IFTTT
IFTTT outlines the following things to try if you find your location triggers are not firing in a timely manner:
- Enable your WiFi setting. You don't need to be connected to a network, but having the setting turned on helps your location to be accurately recognized.
- Make sure the mobile IFTTT app is authorized to run in the background on your device.
- Disable power saving modes on your device.
- Make sure your device is recognizing that you are at the correct location. Check on a maps app to see where your device has you located.
- If you are running Android 8.0 or above on your device, try enabling the setting that is described in this help article to see if it helps.
In particular we have found the last bullet point to be particularly helpful.
Allow IFTTT to run in the background
Something else to consider is whether or not your mobile device prevents IFTTT from running in the background. To check this, do the following:
- Go to Settings > Apps on your device
- Scroll down and select IFTTT
- Select the Battery item
- Ensure Optimise battery usage is set to not optimised.